Speak Up for Libraries is asking local councilors to sign up to the following manifesto:
* Acknowledge that libraries are important to people – especially when times are hard for individuals and communities.
* Commit to engaging with communities to design services that meet their needs and aspirations.
* Ensure library services are properly resourced and staffed.
* Commit to a service that is publicly funded, managed and run by paid professional staff.
* Recognise that properly funded library services contribute to the health and well-being of communities and so complement the work of other public services.
They also want county councillors to lobby central government to:
* Give libraries a long-term future, with a vision for their future development and clear standards of service.
* Enforce the commitment in law to provide a “comprehensive and efficient” library service. This commitment should also include digital, ICT and e-book services.
Art: World War I poster reworked by library campaigner Phil Bradley.