Here’s a round-up of recent news stories related to the local and nation Library Campaign:
* Unison has just launched a new petition protesting the threatened closure of rural libraries. Go here if you’d like to sign, and please pass it on to family, friends, and neighbors.
* Ashburton Library (one of the 28 rural libraries under threat) is considering moving into the Ashburton Post Office.
* Voices for the Library has just issued a smart and reasoned response to the new Rural Libraries Report.
* Another reason we need to keep libraries open: A major international study by the OECD finds that UK graduates lack literacy skills.
* The Read On Get On campaign aims to make radical improvement in reading standards one of the central goals of politics and education in the next decade. (A note to the campaign: saving our libraries would be a good start!)