September 2014 Schedule
Tuesday, 30 September, FoCL Working Group Meeting, at the Courtyard Cafe Chagford, 7:15 for 7:30 start. (This was changed from Monday, 22 Sept., in order not to clash with the opening of the Chagford Film Festival.) All active FoCL Working Group members welcome.*
The Agenda for this meeting includes:
* Updates: FoCL membership, financial situation. current plans.
* How we might evaluate impact of work to date in support of the library in order to guide us for the future.
* Communication: Including current methods on website and Facebook, our newsletters, our post office display, and possibilities regarding signs in the town for library and other ways to stay in touch.
* Roles and responsibilities: Seeking practical help from within our working group in order to distribute Friends work more widely.
* Anyone interested in committing time to the FoCL Working Group should please contact FoCL Membership Secretary Peter Sheilds, via the FoCL mailbox, prior to attending a Working Group meeting. More information about the aims and structure of FoCL can be found here.
There’s no General Meeting in August because so many people are away for summer holidays. The next meeting with be in September, date and place to come.
The DCC Library Consultation Sub-group will be meeting with the Parish Council on Wednesday, August 6, 5 pm. If you are in this sub-group, please keep an eye on your email for updates.
Joanna Ford is hosting a play-reading in support of the Friends of Chagford Library on August 10th. If you’re able to help out, please contact Joannna on 01647 432447.
Added on August 25, 2014: Thank you to Joanna Ford & her family for organising and hosting A Midsummer’s Night’s Dream, and to everyone who participated and helped out! The feedback has been that it was a lovely event, and a magical way to support our library. Well done!
In July, we are focused on:
* Promoting ‘library awareness’ in Chagford (via the Mad Hatter event, the inauguration of the Friends Newsletter, and the new library display in the Post Office window)
* Firming up our organisation’s response to the DCC Library Consultation
Due to the amount of work these tasks require, there will be no Friends Working Group General Meeting in July. We’ll be meeting, as needed, in sub-groups instead: the Outreach/PR/Events sub-group and the Library Consultation sub-group.
If you’ve volunteered for either of these sub-groups, keep an eye on your email for meeting announcements.
Added on July 14, 2014: Thank you to everyone who worked on the Mad Hatter’s Tea Party! The feedback from community members who attended has been wildly positive, and it couldn’t have happened without everyone’s hard work!
Monday, 9 June: Joint meeting of the Youth Outreach/Promotion/Events sub-groups, downstairs at the Globe, Chagford (restaurant side), prompt 7 p.m. start. The purpose of this meeting is to discuss ideas to promote the library, and to increase its membership and visibility, via events, PR, and outreach to schools and the youth community. Non-FoCL members who are able to pitch in and help are welcome! Enthusiastic event planners needed to cook up ideas for our first event.
Monday, 16 June: FoCL Working Group Meeting, at the Courtyard Cafe Chagford, 7:15 for 7:30 start. All active FoCL Working Group members welcome, as well as newcomers who would like to join. The purpose of this meeting is to ratify the FoCL Constitution, hear from sub-groups, and to continue to work towards saving the Chagford Library from closure. Please read relevant documents (sent via the email list) before you come. (If you’re new and not yet on the list, or don’t have access to email, contact Susan Harley.)
1. Adoption of the FoCL constitution.
2. FOCL affiliation with CELT.
3. Liaising with other groups and organisations.
4. Report on Parish Council meeting.
5. Discussion of whether there should be a membership charge for FOCL, and if so, how much?
6. Any updates including the meeting in Barnstable, opening our bank account, applying for the Locality grant, and a report from the PR/Youth sub-group.
7. Supporters’ support.
9. Next meeting: action plan going forward.
Monday, 23 June: Joint meeting of the Youth Outreach/Promotion/Events sub-groups, downstairs at the Globe, Chagford (restaurant side), prompt 7 p.m. start.
Saturday, 28 June: DCC Library Service Information Day for Devon “Friends” Groups, 10:00 – 1:00 at the Barnstaple Library (by invitation only). Peter Shields will be attending to represent Friends of Chagford Library, and will report back to the FoCL Working Group.
Monday, 30 June: FoCL Working Group Meeting, at the Courtyard Cafe Chagford, 7:15 for 7:30 start. Working Group members only. (If you’d like to join the FoCL Working Group, please contact Susan Harley for details.) The agenda for this meeting will include:
* News on the Locality Grant.
* Adoption of the FoCL Constitution (please red the proposed constitution in preparation).
* Finalising the FoCL membership requirements.
* Continued preparation for the “Mad Hatter’s Tea Party” event on 12 July (lead organiser: Rachel Basham), and the “Midsummer Night’s Dream” play-reading event on 10 August (lead organiser: Joanna Ford).
* An update of where we stand regarding the DCC’s library consultation.
* A report on the DCC Library Service’s ‘Friends’ Day in Barnstable.
If you have questions or suggestions about the proposed Constitution please contact Susan Harley or Peter Shields by Wednesday, June 25th. If you have an agenda item to add, contact Susan Harley.